Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Overscheduled & Running Down


My resentment for having to take time away from research for medical appointments is reaching an all-time high. I have all these plans for getting back on schedule (yes, all the interruptions have put me behind), but I can't seem to find enough time (where others aren't using the equipment I need) to actually execute them! I just had my pump refilled today (getting there & back plus all the waits took all afternoon) and tomorrow morning I get to spend the whole morning at UW Hospital for CT-scans (yes, more than one) so I won't be able to start anything in the lab at all until I'm through there. Since most experiments take several consecutive days to do, I already know that the only hope I have of getting anything done this week is to sacrifice the weekend entirely. After all the running around, I could sure use a proper rest!

On top of that, there was talk at today's appointment of having me come in to discuss the films being taken tomorrow too! Don't these people realize I have to work? I don't have time for all this! How ridiculous is it to sacrifice an entire afternoon (a whole day's experiments) just to be told you're fine and the films are clear? Sheesh! I keep having to explain to everyone that I'm completely reliant on public transportation and can't just pick up and go to the other end of town whenever the mood strikes me. None of my medical appointments are within walking distance of the lab so I have to coordinate bus schedules (and my research) pretty far in advance. It's almost like they EXPECT to find trouble. I say, why poke your nose in the hornets nest?


I just don't want my PI to be disappointed when she comes back (she's away at the moment). Also, I don't want to be disappointed in myself. My undergraduate advisor always told me that I was too hard on myself and my lab mates seem fairly impressed with the speed at which I picked up new techniques but still... I can't seem to find a way to put that "to-do" list (my PI left for me) out of my mind. Maybe I'll feel better once I reach the halfway point... And I did lose a few weeks in the beginning to training so maybe I'm not as far behind as I think. Sure, I'll just keep telling myself that...

Here's a funny pic to cheer us up on a crappy, crabby day! Who doesn't like cute, chihuahua puppies?

No comments:

Post a Comment